“Many people would no more think of entering journalism than the sewage business — which at least does us all some good.” — Stephen Fry
English teacher, October 2016 to October 2017
- Taught English as a second language to high school-age students at Sri Kranuan Wittayakom.
San Jose, California
technology editor, Asian correspondent 2013
- Covered the semiconductor capital equipment, process technology and automated equipment markets.
- Provided insight and coverage of Asian markets while living in Bangkok, Thailand.
Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
ESL teacher, October 2011 to October, 2012
- Taught English as a second language to both children and adults at ILA, a private language institute, in District 5, Ho Chi Minh City (Sai Gon).
contract web editor and developer, November 2010 to May 2011
- Performed a variety of duties for Rockies’ various websites, ranging from writing content to creating and administering new Website sections to creating advertisements.
teacher, April 2010 to September 2010
- Taught English, math, science and health to grade one students and English to grade six students at Anuban Suphanburi, a public school in Suphanburi, Thailand.
Santa Ana, California
writer/web editor, March 2007 to January, 2009
- Gathered and edited news for Navigate, the daily e-mail newsletter associated with GPS World magazine and its website, as well as for those of its sister pub, Geospatial Solutions.
- Gathered and edited news in the consumer GPS electronics market on a daily basis for the GPS Maniac Web blog. Also maintained and administered the blog.
The Loomis Group
San Francisco, California
writer, May 2006 to April 2007
- Wrote and edited a variety of projects for clients within the chip industry, including press releases, recruiting brochures and contributed articles.
Electronic News Online
San Jose, California
senior editor, Dec. 2002 to May, 2006
- Wrote, edited and posted news items, bylined stories and editorial columns for the Electronic News Web site and various daily and weekly e-mail newsletters.
- Solicited and edited op/ed pieces from contributors and industry professionals.
- Wrote a monthly column on the semiconductor capital equipment market for Electronic Business, a monthly print magazine and sister publication.
- Spent all of October, 2005 in China reporting and blogging as part of a special project detailing the state of the domestic Chinese chip industry.
San Jose, California
senior editor, June 2001 – Dec. 2002;
associate editor, Jan. 2000 – June, 2001
- Responsible for the semiconductor capital equipment and test and measurement sections of the print edition. This included writing and editing bylined copy for this section as well as the general news section.
- Solicited and edited contributed opinion pieces and news stories from freelance writers and industry professionals.
- Assisted in developing original art illustrations.
staff writer, Aug. 1998 to Dec. 1999
staff writer, Sept. 1990 to Feb. 1992
staff writer, July 1989 to Aug. 1990
bachelor of science in magazine journalism, Aug, 1990
- GPA: 3.2, cum laude; 3.6 within major/minor
- minor: English; two years of science
- scholarships: Freshman Scholarship, McGuffey Scholarship, 1987; Athens News/Robert Baker Scholarship, 1990.
- honors: Dean’s List, 1988, 1989, 1990
- activities: member, Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), campus chapter; GA reporter for independent student newspaper, 1988; writer and editor for student-run Southeast Ohio Magazine, 1990.
- extensive experience with corporate Internet content management systems, including Advanstar and eLogic (now part of Reed Elsevier/Reed Business Information), as well as WordPress and Drupal
- Adobe Creative Suite : extensive experience with Photoshop and Lightroom; working knowledge of InDesign and Dreamweaver
- Darktable (Linux-based photography software)
- HTML, XML, CSS and PHP
- Microsoft Windows and MS-DOS operating systems; MS Office apps
- Linux/Ubuntu OS
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice apps
- typing: 65 wpm (pre-stroke); 30 wpm (post stroke)
- professional and educational experience and training in both film and digital photography, including digital compositing
- experienced with black and white darkroom techniques
- working knowledge of French
- Studied Thai (speaking and reading/writing) for one year
Physical Fitness and the Great Outdoors
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification, Wilderness Medical Associates, 8/2005-8/2008
- basic first aid/CPR certification, American Red Cross, 2005
- New River whitewater raft guide training, The Rivermen Whitewater, 2005
- certification, personal training and strength training, Aerobic Pipeline International, 1996-1998
“There is no doubt that the way journalism worked when I was growing up and getting started has changed forever.” — Dan Rather